Friday, November 2, 2007

Raglan

I learned a new word playing JUMBLE. I'm glad to be able to play this on-line again. I had let go the inability to play it with the old Mac with assurance that, some day, I'll be able to again. That day has come.

The new word is 'raglan'. I've never even gotten a hint of this word before. No inkling that it ever existed. It really stumped me in the JUMBLE, but I got it eventually.

'Raglan' refers to sleeves in a garment top that extend all the way up to the neckline. They are characterized with a slanting seam from the armhole to the neck.

So. There's a name for that. And yet we still have no gender neutral pronouns.

This is one of those cases when a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some images:
raglan cardigan

See the slanting seem from armhole to neck? You can see it better in this baby cardigan:

When the garment is all one color, there's a clean seamlessness to the design.

Here's a top with that clean seamlessness with an open neck:



There are variations to the raglan style. You have long sleeves and short sleeves, of course. There is also something called a cap sleeve, which I'm surmising is a very short sleeve. The best example of raglan sleeves is found in the baseball shirt. Whether long, short, or capped, they are all raglan. You can really see it because of the contrast in colors.

cap sleeve


cap and mid-sleeve


true baseball shirt


short-sleeve raglan


Here the raglan sleeves can be definitively seen becasue they aren't yet attached:

the finished product


Well, that should be enough to fully ingrain this word into my memory.

No comments: