Sunday, November 4, 2007

Night Tides

I found a new show on an NPR station that's rare and remarkable. It's called Night Tides. It's hosted by Renee Blanche.

I was looking for stations that aired Humankind throughout the week and who had high quality streaming audio. I discovered a new station in Kansas City, MO called KCUR. It's streams at a whopping 128k. That's the highest I've seen so far, and only a few stations offer it.

The show plays stream of consciousness music. Supreme for the evening, for mellow moods, for filling the air with a timeless quality.

I feel like a discovered a gold mine.

I like it better than Hearts of Space, which is good, too, but the variety of music is more narrow and mostly electronic, it seems. Night Tides has lots of acoustic pieces along with the electronica. It is more soothing, too. Mellower and (didn't think it was possible) more 'contemplative', as the host describes the music of her show. Add to that the fact that the host is a woman with a sensual tone.

She spoke of one her favorite phrases to say in Spanish: "Otro dia en el paraiso." Which means, "Another day in paradise." (To make it, "Another perfect day in paradise," you say, "Otro dia perfecta en el paraiso.") I immediately thought that this is a good mantra to say regularly to remind me of when the ABAHI say to take it easy, have fun with it, since you can never get it wrong because you never get it done.
"Otro dia perfecta en el paraiso."
She also ended the show with a quote, something that seems to be a regular practice for the show. "Before I go, I'll leave you with some words from Aldan Nowlan." (No, I didn't remember this. I caught a few key words and looked it up.)
"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."
Good words. And on that note, I'll end this post.

No comments: