Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ply Bent Wood


A few days ago, I sought to find out if corrugated cardboard was non-toxic. I am surrounded by cardboard boxes right now because I'm moving. I also plan to make very elaborate designs out of cardboard to furnish the house I'll be staying in. I came across a site that not only said it wasn't, it showed other materials that are considered "green" and recommended to be used as building materials. I was glad to see at the top of the list:

Abaca
Abaca is a species of banana native to the Philippines. The plant is prized for the strength of its fiber which is extracted from the leaves and stems.

Another material that caught my eye was a form of wood called Ply Bent. This got me on a stream of searches. I had to find out more about this material. I was disappointed to find that little info on it. It seems to be a material used mainly for chairs used in churches and colleges. I guess it's a cheap source of wood. I believe that this will become a popular source of building material in the near future the way bamboo has been around, but is now becoming hip and well-known. Ply Bent seems to be versatile in that it can be shaped in a variety of ways. When some forward-thinking folk capitalize on its qualities, then it will really soar. One of them is that it "yields 8-10 times more usable wood from a log than solid lumber."

This is the site where I learned about Ply Bent Wood. They have some interesting furniture designs.

An idea for cabinets without pulls






I have an idea using rectangles instead of circles.
Make slots to slide in shelves.

No comments: